Thursday, September 3, 2009

from September 1st

I do believe there are cats in my hallway.

And angry cats at that! I had been warned not to leave trash bags containing food outside the door, because the cats get into them. Which means, I guess, that the cats are free to roam the building as they see fit.

Just as the rats are free to roam our kitchen as they see fit. I woke up at 3:30 this morning and went to the kitchen for a glass of water. And when I turned on the light, what do I see but I HUMONGOUS rat scampering from one corner of the kitchen to another! Who knew there were ROUS’s in Egypt? Now, I don’t generally mind things that are that much smaller and furrier than myself, but city rats are MEAN, and I’m sure Cairo rats have attained a murderous bravado that would put even New York rodents to shame. It’s a tough life here. So I figure my best bet is this: name the rat, accept that this is now his flat, too, and try not to put my toes too far under the counter when cooking.

Or have the doormen kill him. That might be better.

Either way, all I can do is shrug my shoulders and laugh a little. It’s a crazy life but I’m growing to love it.

Besides, I was getting too prissy back home. Early morning cat fights and rats the size of corgis might be just what I need to shake me out of my complacency.

p.s. It’s September 1st! Can you even believe it?

2 comments:

  1. Hillarious! Carolyn and a Rat named Sue. I can hear the hit tune in my head now! I bought a scarf yesterday and thought of you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i understand. the first night in Vietnam, i was woken up by cats...insane, SCREAMING cats! it was terrifying.
    anyway, i hope you are having the best of adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Followers